Share your favorite recipes and include a shout-out to your favorite ingredients from our local producers! Tag those items and let us know what you like from our offerings! Happy eating!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Spelt Honey Bread
Source: Grandma's Special Baking Recipes from Hinkler Press (Entered by Lee Ruff)
My mom gave me a cookbook for Christmas that had this recipe in it, but it called for whole wheat flour. I just substituted spelt because it’s what we have, and it was a very simple, no fuss bread recipe. Great for breakfast or snacking, even for dessert with jam, fruit butter, or honey.
Serves: Makes 1 loaf
Step by Step Instructions
- Put the flour, yeast and salt into a mixing bowl and stir until mixed.
- Stir in water, oil and honey, and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until it no longer feels sticky. Sprinkle with a little flour if needed.
- Grease a loaf tin and put the dough in, pressing it evenly. Cover and leave in a warm place 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake 30-35 minutes until the loaf is risen and golden. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Comments added by fellow market members.