Share your favorite recipes and include a shout-out to your favorite ingredients from our local producers! Tag those items and let us know what you like from our offerings! Happy eating!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Gooey Apple Sorghum Cake
Source: Walmart Great Value Holiday Recipes, submitted by Cheryl Mattingly (Entered by Lee Ruff)
This recipe is from a 16 page, free recipe book WalMart put out before Christmas a few years ago. We love this recipe… it’s one of my 3 year old’s most often requested desserts! It calls for a caramel sauce as the topping, but I think the result is more like a bar dessert than a cake, and it is delicious without the sauce… very moist and delicious warm or cooled.
Serves: Serves 16
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl stir together sugar, sorghum, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in flour, soda, salt and spices just until moistened.
- Stir in apples, raisins, and nuts until combined (batter will be thick). Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cover top loosely with foil last 10 minutes if necessary.
- Prepare Caramel Sauce and pour over warm cake, cool 45 minutes.
- Caramel Sauce: In small saucepan, stir together 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Comments added by fellow market members.